Fennel & Carrot Crunch Salad
Winter brings the harsh reality of frozen garden beds and an endless display of plastic bins with just-washed greenhouse salad greens. We were craving something that felt like, well, fresh seasonal vegetables. Enter this crunchy salad with a tangy vinaigrette that's just different enough to wake up the palate after weeks of soup and bread.
This is a super-crunch salad, enlivened by festive colors of watermelon radishes and if you can find them, rainbow carrots. A perfect accompaniment to roast chicken or meat, it makes a satisfying lunch as well. The parsley gives it a fresh herbal note that reminds us of the Spring that's around the corner.
Why does using a different vinegar feel so bold? I'm not sure, but try this with a rice vinegar or a cider vinegar and you'll see what I mean!
Thanks to Catrine Kelty for the recipe inspiration.
Winter Crunch Salad
(Serves 4 as an appetizer)
For the Salad:
- In a bowl, whisk the mustard, vinegars, salt and pepper, until well combined. Continue to whisk and slowly pour in the the olive oil, whisking until emulsified. Serve immediately, or store in a glass jar or container until ready to serve.
- Layer a bed of mixed greens on a large platter.
- Sprinkle with half the shredded carrots, then layer the fennel, then the other half of the carrots.
- Layer the fennel fronds and watermelon radishes, garnish with the parsley.
- Drizzle with 1/4 c. of the vinaigrette.
- Toss just before serving adding extra vinaigrette as desired.